Blue Mountain College was founded in 1873 by Civil War Brigadier General Mark Perrin Lowrey. Blue Mountain College was independently owned and administered until 1920, when control was turned over to the Mississippi Baptist Convention. The school operated as an institution for women from 1873 until 2005 when the College became fully co-educational. Through small classes, a close faculty-student relationship, and a focus on the importance of the individual, the College has endeavored to produce graduates who are well-prepared academically and spiritually to accept places of leadership in their professions, in their communities, and in the work of the denomination. Guyton Library consists of over 80,000 titles, and the archives collection has thousands of items relating to General Lowrey, his family, administrators, alumnae, and the history of Blue Mountain College.
Type of Institution: Academic Library
Partner since: 2014
Contact: Ask a Librarian (link)
These materials are presented online for educational purposes only. Images may contain copyrighted material. Use of these materials on websites, in exhibits, or in publications requires the permission of Blue Mountain College and/or the legal copyright holder. The user bears full responsibility for securing any and all appropriate permissions. Please contact Blue Mountain College for further information.